
Ariana Grande says she will step back from public appearances after her current tour, citing years of intense public scrutiny and personal pressure.
Global pop star Ariana Grande has revealed plans to take a break from public life following the conclusion of her Eternal Sunshine tour next month, saying constant public attention and criticism have influenced her decision.
The announcement also means the Grammy-winning singer will no longer take part in the planned 2027 London revival of Stephen Sondheim’s Sunday in the Park with George at the Barbican Theatre.
According to a statement from her representative, Grande intends to “step back from visibility” after completing the tour, describing the move as an opportunity to rest after years of public scrutiny and demanding performances.
Her team noted that the tour has been physically intense, with Grande performing high-energy shows night after night while maintaining a rigorous schedule.
The decision comes amid renewed discussions about the singer’s appearance and wellbeing following the release of her latest album, Petal. In a promotional video for the project, Grande portrays a performer facing constant criticism, highlighting the pressures of life in the spotlight.
Production company Empire Street Productions confirmed Grande’s departure from the upcoming London musical and expressed support for her decision.
“Following this evening’s announcement from Ariana Grande’s team, we can confirm that she has decided to step back from Sunday in the Park with George,” the company said in a statement.
“We fully understand and support her decision and wish her all the best.”
The production will continue as planned, although a replacement for Grande has not yet been announced.
Grande is currently on the Eternal Sunshine world tour, with upcoming performances in Chicago and a 10-night run at London’s O2 Arena beginning on August 15. The tour is scheduled to conclude on September 1, after which she is expected to begin her break from public appearances.
The singer, known for hits such as Into you, Thank U, Next, 7 Rings and Side by side, had been expected to reunite with her Wicked co-star Jonathan Bailey in the West End production before announcing her withdrawal.