[ verb uhp-deyt, uhp-deyt; noun uhp-deyt ]
/ verb ʌpˈdeɪt, ˈʌpˌdeɪt; noun ˈʌpˌdeɪt /
verb (used with object), up·dat·ed, up·dat·ing.
to bring (a book, figures, or the like) up to date as by adding new information or making corrections: to update a science textbook.
Computers. to incorporate new or more accurate information in (a database, program, procedure, etc.).
to bring (a person, organization, etc.) up to date on a particular subject: The magazine article will update you on the international situation.
an act or instance of updating: to make an update in a financial ledger.
information or data used in updating.
an updated version, model, or the like.
ZHUZH UP YOUR VOCABULARY WITH THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Embellish your word knowledge with the words from the week of August 17 to August 23, 2020!
Question 1 of 7
What does “limn” mean?
to make a low, continuous, droning sound.
to portray in words; describe.
to take pleasure in; find agreeable or congenial.
TAKE THE QUIZ TO FIND OUT
Origin of update
First recorded in 1940–45; up- + date1
OTHER WORDS FROM update
up·dat·a·ble, adjectiveup·dat·er, noun
Words nearby update
up close and personal, upcoming, upcountry, upcropping, upcycle, update, Updike, updo, updraft, updraught, updrift
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
Words related to update
restore, amend, refurbish, renovate, renew, modernize, revise, refresh, rejuvenate
Example sentences from the Web for update
- However, it deserves to be carefully studied in order to update the information which is provided to the volunteers.
Uh Oh: Ebola Vaccine Trials Stop|Leigh Cowart|December 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- With 3D printing you can continue to use the file and update.
3-D Printing Is Changing the Future of Prosthetics|Lucy Vernasco|December 10, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- UPDATE: Managing editor Will Dana took greater responsibility for Rolling Stone’s errors in a series of tweets Friday evening.
Rolling Stone Said Yesterday U-VA Rape Story Was ‘Entirely Credible’|Lloyd Grove|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- Update: It appears Lauten has deleted the apology from Facebook.
GOP Flack Throws Shade at First Teens|Olivia Nuzzi|November 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- Newer devices may have built-in passwords that are difficult to update.
How Your Pacemaker Will Get Hacked|Kaiser Health News|November 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
- No attempt has been made to edit this book for consistency or to update or “correct” the spelling.
The Village Watch-Tower|(AKA Kate Douglas Riggs) Kate Douglas Wiggin
- The following changes in spelling were made, to update them.
A Sketch of the Life of Brig. Gen. Francis Marion|William Dobein James
- They came back to Liberty Square with a message: update the attractions.
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom|Cory Doctorow
- “Epidemic” vs. “Pandemic” vs. “Endemic”: What Do These Terms Mean?
- When To Use “Have” vs. “Has”
- All Of These Words Are Offensive (But Only Sometimes)
- What Is The Difference Between “It’s” And “Its”?
- What Do All Of These Different Heart Emojis Mean?
- 3 Ways To Sound Assertive (Instead Of Passive-Aggressive)
British Dictionary definitions for update
verb (ʌpˈdeɪt) (tr)
to bring up to date
the act of updating or something that is updated
Derived forms of update
updateable, adjectiveupdater, noun
Collins English Dictionary – Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
WORD OF THE DAY
ikigainoun| [ee-kee-gahy]SEE DEFINITION
- Where Did The Acronyms POTUS And FLOTUS Come From?
- “Hispanic” vs. “Latino”: When To Use Each Term
- “Affect” vs. “Effect”: Use The Correct Word Every Time
- What’s The Difference Between “i.e.” vs. “e.g.”?