Gombe State – “Jewel In The Savannah” – Located in north-east geopolitical zone of Nigeria, Gome State was created in 1996 out of the former Bauchi State. The state is situated right within the expansive savannah region and has 11 local government areas which include Akko, Balanga, Billiri, Dukku, Funakaye, Gombe, Kaltungo, Kwami, Nafada, Shongom, Yamaltu/Deba.
The state which used to be part of the old Bauchi State was created by Late General Sanni Abacha in 1996 and nicknamed ‘Jewel in the Savannah’. There are a number of investment opportunities in agriculture, water supply, power generation, solid minerals, industries, housing and tourism development to be found in Gombe State.
The state – People & Culture
Gombe State comprises many tribal or ethnic groups among which are the Hausa, Tangale, Terawa, Waja, Kumo, Fulani, Kanuri, Bolewa, Jukun, Pero/Shonge, Tula, Cham, Lunguda, Dadiya, Banbuka etc. and Hausa is the common language of the people.
Farming is the main occupation of the people of the state and crops produced include cassava, yam, rice, maize, guinea corn, beans, soya beans, asha and millet. The state is blessed with precious mineral resources like columbite, coal and aquamarine. Gombe State has an area 20,265 Square Kilometers with a population of about 2.4 Million and it shares a common boundary with the states of Borno, Taraba, Adamamwa and Bauchi.
Gombe State map – Weather/Climate
Gombe has two distinct climates, the dry season between November and March; and the rainy season between April and October with an average rainfall of 850mm. Other important cities and towns include Dukku, Billiri, Bajoga and Kaltungo.
Emirs Palace, Gombe
The palace is a blend of architectural designs with a touch of royalty. The palace serves as venue for durbar. Tangale Hill, this is a tertiary, enchanting and beautiful volcanic hill south of Gombe.
- Tangle Peak – It is one of the highest peak in Nigeria and it’s conical in shape. It is located in Tangale 45 minutes journey from Gombe.
- Kilang Hill, Popandi Village – Kilang Hill is about 1000ft above sea level and is 2km away from Kaltungo in Yamaltu/Deba Local Government Area.
- Tula Battlefield, Tula – It is a place where the British under the Kaltungo LGA command of calyle first attacked and fought the Tula people.
- Bima Rock, Dadin Kowa – It is a wide and gigantic rock formed in a way that expresses beauty and elegance. The rock looks the same from an angle one looks at it. It is found in Yamaltu/Deba LGA.
- Tomb of Bubayero Gombe Abba – Bubayero is the founder of Gombe Sukku LGA emirate. The tomb as been registered as a national monument.
- Bormi Battle site, Bormi – Bormi is a place where a decisive 3km east of battle was fought between sultan Bajoga in Attahiru and Major F.C. Marsh, both in Funakaye LGA Both men were killed during the war.