Makinde Seeks UN Probe Into Ogbomoso School Abduction After Pupils, Teachers Regain Freedom

Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde has called on the United Nations (UN) and international human rights organisations to investigate the abduction of schoolchildren and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area, describing the incident as one that warrants independent international scrutiny.

Speaking during a statewide broadcast after receiving the rescued pupils and teachers at the Government House in Ibadan on Monday, Makinde said the circumstances surrounding the May 15 abduction were serious enough to require an investigation beyond Nigeria’s domestic institutions.

“I, therefore, with a full sense of responsibility as the Executive Governor of Oyo State, call on the appropriate international human rights organisations and accountability mechanisms, including those within the United Nations system, to closely examine the facts surrounding this abduction and the circumstances of its resolution,” he said.

According to the governor, the request for an international probe is not intended to undermine Nigeria’s institutions but to strengthen public confidence by ensuring that the truth is established and anyone found culpable is held accountable.

Makinde stressed that responsibility for national security lies with the Federal Government and the security agencies under its control, as provided by the Nigerian Constitution.

He said Nigerians deserve a transparent account of the incident, including those responsible, whether there were institutional failures, negligence or collusion, and the measures being taken to prevent similar attacks in the future.

“This is not about politics. It is about justice for the victims, reassurance for our people, and restoring public confidence that every Nigerian child can go to school without fear,” the governor said.

Makinde also assured parents across Oyo State that his administration would continue to support all lawful efforts aimed at improving security and ensuring those responsible for the abduction face justice.

The governor’s remarks come days after the Federal Government announced the successful rescue of the abducted pupils and teachers following 56 days in captivity.

Presidential spokesman Bayo Onanuga said the victims were rescued during a coordinated operation involving the Nigerian Army, the Nigeria Police Force and the Department of State Services (DSS).

President Bola Tinubu commended the military, the DSS and the police for securing the release of the victims without casualties and confirmed that eight suspected abductors had been arrested while others were neutralised during the operation.

The President also praised the Oyo State Government for its collaboration with federal authorities throughout the rescue effort and called for stronger security measures to protect schools across the country.

Leave a reply

Stay Informed With the Latest & Most Important News

[mc4wp_form id=314]
Loading Next Post...
Follow
Sign In/Sign Up Sidebar Search Trending
Popular Now
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...